According to wired:
http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/news/2001/11/47435, college and graduate students are increasingly considering India as an ideal place to do Internships. I did.
The thing is that companies like Infosys are offering internship opportunities hard to match elsewhere. Infosys' InStep program selects top students from top colleges and business schools around the world to work in India for one to six months on meaningful projects that actually help the firm.
For the 2000-2001 school year, 800 students from top American and European colleges applied for just 24 vacancies. For the 2007-2008, Infosys received 12,000 applications for just 125 vacancies.
As interns we sign confidentiality agreements and are treated as employees. I never felt alienated there, i was just another employee living the India experience. Another thing that I loved was the trust. I had access to very confidential information, they allowed me to review, interview and survey everything and everyone I thought could contribute my project. Sounds easy but it is hard for a company that size to trust an intern that will be there only for two months.
Instep is a branding program, part of its global strategy. Infosys wants to create a international brand recognition, attrack and retain the best people and of course get new customers. Interns help the company with all that. We come back to our home countries to talk wonders of the company and the country, we even write blogs about how great it was, we are potential employees and potential customer. A very smart move I would say.
The article from wired mentions that Infosys' attraction, among other things, is the offer to work in India. I agree, I saw India's economic Booming and wanted to experience first hand that development, understand why in Mexico we haven't been able to replicate that kind of success in many companies or industries.
This experience involves a tremendous learning, personal validation through the development of a project that will really impact the company, and an amazing cultural experience.
The thing is that companies like Infosys are offering internship opportunities hard to match elsewhere. Infosys' InStep program selects top students from top colleges and business schools around the world to work in India for one to six months on meaningful projects that actually help the firm.
For the 2000-2001 school year, 800 students from top American and European colleges applied for just 24 vacancies. For the 2007-2008, Infosys received 12,000 applications for just 125 vacancies.
As interns we sign confidentiality agreements and are treated as employees. I never felt alienated there, i was just another employee living the India experience. Another thing that I loved was the trust. I had access to very confidential information, they allowed me to review, interview and survey everything and everyone I thought could contribute my project. Sounds easy but it is hard for a company that size to trust an intern that will be there only for two months.
Instep is a branding program, part of its global strategy. Infosys wants to create a international brand recognition, attrack and retain the best people and of course get new customers. Interns help the company with all that. We come back to our home countries to talk wonders of the company and the country, we even write blogs about how great it was, we are potential employees and potential customer. A very smart move I would say.
The article from wired mentions that Infosys' attraction, among other things, is the offer to work in India. I agree, I saw India's economic Booming and wanted to experience first hand that development, understand why in Mexico we haven't been able to replicate that kind of success in many companies or industries.
This experience involves a tremendous learning, personal validation through the development of a project that will really impact the company, and an amazing cultural experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment